You are currently using an outdated browser. For the best viewing experience, please upgrade your browser here.
259 Church Street, Richmond, VIC 3121

Festive season is here!

Richmond Vet Clinic

The silly season has well and truly arrived! It’s that exciting time of year when we socialise, eat, and drink too much. Even our pets love this time of year, as there are lots of exciting things to play with and eat. Unfortunately, not everything is going to be a healthy option for our pets, and if ingested inappropriately, could lead to a medical emergency. That’s something to really interfere with our festive cheer! A few things to watch out for and avoid:

  • Curling ribbon from the presents: Cats love to play and chew with these. It doesn’t take long for a game to turn into a disaster if they end up swallowing the ribbon. Ribbon can strangle the intestines if it is ingested, and may result in an operation to remove it. So, make sure you clean up all your Christmas wrapping!
  • Chocolate, macadamia nuts, raisins: these are toxic to dogs if ingested, and depending on the amount ingested, may cause medical problems.
  • All the rich food at Christmas (ham, pork, crackling, fried or oily foods) is very tempting for our dogs. They don’t understand that moderation is needed with this type of food, and will quite happily eat until there is nothing left. These foods could trigger a bout of Gastroenteritis, or worse, Pancreatitis. Both problems result in vomiting, diarrhoea, and potentially hospitalisation and veterinary treatment.
  • Cooked bones: whether it be a Christmas BBQ, or Christmas roast, don’t give your dog cooked bones to chew on. They can splinter and cause perforation of the gastrointestinal tract.
  • Alcohol: dogs do like this, and they can get drunk as well!
    So, taking those precautions in hand, Richmond Veterinary Clinic hopes you and your pets have a very happy and safe festive season!